Graduate of the Graphics Department at the Faculty of Fine Arts in Cluj, Gabriel Stoian is a young artist who, through the conceptual nature of his works, exceeds the medium particular to graphics in order to work with object, assemblage, instalment or intervention in the public space. Being interested in experimenting in the process of creating his works, Stoian often operates with unexpected object associations that become in this way very suggestive.
His art searches for stimuli in the outside world, in mundane realities generating spiritual experiences or intense intellectual processes. Any bit of reality can be conceptualized and integrated in a coherent discourse. Preoccupied by the context, being critical and conscious, Stoian takes on the debate of some major themes which vary from the reflection on the human condition, the criticism of alienating contemporary mentalities to the investigation of the effects of globalization on culture. On the other hand, the messages of his works can be perceived in a rhetorical manner, the unpredictable and the spontaneous occupying an important role in the mechanisms of creation.
In 2014, he participated with an artwork (Peace) in the 6th edition of the Bucharest Biennale and in the same year he had his first personal exhibition.
Maria Orosan-Telea (2014)
2005 - 2008 - University of Art and Design, Faculty of Fine Arts, Graphics Department, Cluj - Napoca, Romania;
2008 - 2010 - Master, University of Art and Design, Faculty of Plastic Arts, Graphics Department, Cluj-Napoca, Romania;
2011 - Present - PhD Student, University of Art and Design, Faculty of Plastic Arts, Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
2009 - Erasmus Grant, Wrocław Academy of Arts, Wrocław, Poland.
2010 - 2011 - "Hàbitat Artístic Castelló", Cultural Center of Castellón de la Plana, Spain.
2013 - "Jardin d’Europe", WASPSTUDIOS - Working Art Space and Production, Bucharest, Romania.
2014 - ALL THOSE WHO PRAISE WORK ARE WRONG - @ ALERT Studio (White Code), Bucharest, Romania.
2007 - Graphic Group Exhibition, "Matei Corvin House" Gallery, Cluj-Napoca, Romania;
- Group Exhibition, "Urban Fest" Festival, Museum of Art, Cluj-Napoca, Romania;
- Engraving Group Exhibition, Wrocław Academy of Arts, Wrocław, Poland.
2008 - 1st International Engraving Biennial, Istanbul, Turkey;
- Lithography Workshop, Miskolc, Hungary;
2009 - 6ème Biennale Internationale d’Estampe Contemporaine de Trois Rivières, Canada;
- Group Exhibition, curator & participant, Wrocław Academy of Arts, Poland;
- "Personal Anatomy Book", Engraving Exhibition, "Matei Corvin House" Gallery, Cluj-Napoca, Romania;
2011 - "Dávalos - Fletcher" Foundation, Castellón de la Plana, Spain;
- International World Plate and Print Art Exhibition "Millennial Wind", Gyeongsangnam-do, South Korea;
- "Hàbitat Artístic Castelló", Cultural Center of Castellón de la Plana, Spain;
2013 - Here and Against (Instalation project) - Working Art Space and Production, Bucharest, Romania;
- Marotte, Victoria Art Center, Bucharest, Romania;
- Strabag ArtAward International, Vienna, Austria;
- "Walter Koschatzky" Art-Award, selected artist, Vienna, Austria;
- 14th International Print Exhibition Biennial, Taiwan, Republic of China;
2014 - Biennial - Bucharest International Biennial of Contemporary Art, Bucharest, Romania;
Prizes and awards:
2010 - "Szekler" 1st International Graphics Biennial, Special Prize offered by Lazarea Creation Center, Sfantu Gheorghe, Romania.