He has made numerous animation movies, and since 1990 he has become one of the most preoccupied artists with performances and electronic art. As a media artist, he unravels the destiny of imagination in the contemporary world, dominated by high communication techniques which develop a different reality, a different "nature". Most of his installations or performances combine multimedia elements and develop the theme of the subject’s alienation, especially of the creator in this universe of communication and media manipulation, still in a direct relation to the electronic apparatus that produces images. Subsequently, most of his spaces/actions include the computer and the desktop, stereotype objects from the point of view of the shape. These poles of discourse put a strain on the space and time of the communication. On other occasions, the artist uses - in order to relate the subject to the imagistic stereotypical universe - different images of the consumerist civilisation - promotional balloons, various backgrounds for commercial information, such as packages, all integrated in complex situations and ambient, sometimes in a polemic dialogue with the traditional work of art.
(Săcele, Brașov, 1955)
1975 - 1978 - "Nicolae Grigorescu" Institute of Plastic Arts, Bucharest.
1978 - 1981 - Professor of drawing, General School no. 1, Covasna;
1981 - 1993 - Producer of animation movies, Studio Animafilm, Bucharest;
1992 - 1995, 1997 - Invited for working grants at the Frans Masereel Engraving Centre - Kasterlee, Belgium;
1994 -1995 - works with Teodor Graur in the Euroartist group;
1994 - 1998 - Computer-designer, Studio Dacodac S.R.L., Bucharest;
1998 - Computer-designer Art Grafic, Bucharest.
1994 - 1995 - Member and co-founder, with Teodor Graur, of Euroartist Group, Bucharest.
since 1981 - Member of the Plastic Artists Union in Romania, Bucharest branch;
since 1990 - Member (founder) of the Euroatelier Association
1982, 1986 - Graphics (drawings), Art Centre Gallery, Bucharest;
1989 - Installation, Galateea Gallery, Bucharest;
1990 - Graphics (drawings), Arnold-Jotzu Gallery, Bad Homburg, Germany;
1992 - Graphics (drawings), The Broughton House Gallery, Cambridge and The Couch House Gallery, East Molesey, Great Britain;
- Graphics (drawings), The Couch House Gallery, East Molesey, Great Britain;
1997 - rm Bandalac (drawings, paintings, engravings, photographs), Simeza Gallery, Bucharest;
- Artist and the city (drawings, paintings, engravings, photographs), Artexpo Gallery, Round Hall, Bucharest;
1999 - Demon, multimedia installation, Simeza Gallery, Bucharest;
2007 - SFINXUS² (drawings, paintings, engravings, photographs, multimedia installation), Romanian Institute of Culture and Humanistic Research, Venice, Italy.
Group exhibitions (selection):
1980 - Bandalac-Graur-Mihălțianu-Paraschiv, Workshop '35 / Orizont Gallery, Bucharest;
1982 – 2nd Triennial of youth, Kunsthalle Nürnberg, Germany;
- 8th Exhibition of original drawings, Rijeka, Ex- Yugoslavia;
1983 – 6th Biennale of drawing, Cleveland, Great Britain;
- 17th Biennale of Art, São Paulo, Brazil;
1985 - The nature, Pecs, Hungary;
- Petit format de papier, Cul des Sarts (Couvin), Hungary;
1987 - Alternatives, Orizont Gallery, Bucharest;
- Art of Today, Budapest, Hungary;
- International Salon of Art E 87, Nésle Gallery, Paris, France;
1988 – Six painters, Simeza Gallery, Bucharest;
1990 – 2nd International Contest „Syrlin Kunstpreis”, Stuttgart, Germany;
- Europe artistes, Maison des Associations, Paris, France;
- 27 artists from Romania, Church in Aerdt, The Netherlands;
1991 – Await and burst, Art Gallery, Szombbathely, Hungary;
- 9 artists from Romania – Broekhuis Gallery, Enschede, The Netherlands;
- Jurgen Busch Gallery, München, Germany;
1992 - Saga '92 - Grand Palais, Paris, France;
- Braas Gallery, Oberursel, Germany;
- Zeitger Forum, Zeitg, Germany;
1993 - Saga '93, Grand Palais, Paris, France;
- 1st Biennale of Engraving, Maastricht, The Netherlands;
- 7th Biennale of Engraving, Varna, Bulgaria;
1994 - Budapest Art Expo, Budapest, Hungary;
1995 - Budapest Art Expo (with Euroartist Bucharest), Budapest, Hungary;
- Art for Life, Charitable event, Artexpo Foundation, Bucharest (with Euroartist Bucharest);
- MEdiA CULPA, „Ion Mincu” Institute of Architecture, Bucharest (with Euroartist Bucharest);
- 4th International Biennale of Art, Istanbul, Turkey (with Euroartist Bucharest);
1996 - Obra Gràfica, Frans Masereel Centrum, Caja de Asturias, Spain;
- Experiment, Artexpo Foundation, Bucharest;
1997 - Experiment, National Museum of Art, Cluj;
1999 - Ecaterina Gate, Brașov;
2000 - Transferatu, ifa Gallery, Berlin & Bonn, Germany;
2001 - Context network, Romanian pavilion at the 49th International Biennale of Art, Venice, Italy;
- medi@terra - Athens / Lavrion / Sofia / Belgrade / Maribor / Osnabrück / Frankfurt;
2003 - Personal Places, „A+A Centro Espositivo Sloveno” Gallery, Venice, Italy;
2011 – National Salon of Graphics, Art Centre, Bucharest;
2012 - National Salon of Graphics, Simeza Gallery, Bucharest.
Works in public collections:
1982 – Water pump at the countryside X, 70 x 100 cm, mixed technique on paper, Kunsthalle Nürnberg, Germany;
1983 - Vera VII, 70 x 100 cm, mixed technique on paper, State University Museum of São Paula, Brazil;
1991 - Romania for sale, 200 x 300 cm, textile object, Ministry of Culture, Romania;
2002 - Barg CD-rom interactive, Museum of Contemporary Art, Bucharest;
- Confusions, 3 prints 90x170 cm, Museum of Contemporary Art, Bucharest;
2007 - Romania, 50x35 cm, mixed technique on paper, Romanian Institute of Culture and Research, Venice, Italia.
1994 - Romania for sale, 30 min, Festival AnnART 5, Lake Sf. Ana, Harghita;
1994 - Germany vs. Romania, 50 min, Festival AnnART 5, Sf. Gheorghe, Covasna (with Euroartist Bucharest);
- Hopeless, 60 min, Bucharest;
1996 - Vote me,15 min, „Days of Sf. Gheorghe”, Covasna;
- The justice performance, 10 min, Festival AnnART 7, Lake Sf. Ana, Harghita;
- The speech, 20 min, Days „Experiment”, National Theatre, Bucharest;
1997 - The torture, 20 min - 6 ore, Days „Experiment”, National Museum of Art, Cluj-Napoca;
- Spearmint, 20 min, Festival „Us and Them”, Old Synagogue, Cluj-Napoca;
1998 - Identification, Days „Sf. Gheorghe”, Covasna;
- Personal tragedy, 25 min, County exhibition, Dalles Hall, Bucharest;
1999 - Lycantropus, 60 min, Festival „Eclipse”, World Trade Plaza, Bucharest;
- Eclipse of the Natural, 25 min, Festival „AnnART 10”, Lake Sf. Ana, Harghita;
2000 - Confusions, 30 min, Festival of ephemeral art, META Foundation, Bucharest.
1982 – Co-director of debut movie Calligraphy, 9 min., 35 mm, colour / ® ROMANIAFILM;
- Director of 6 episodes of the didactic series The mysteries of drawing;
1986 - Line; Surface, 6 min each, 35 mm, colour / ® ROMANIAFILM;
1987 - Colour; Complementary colours, 6 min each, 35 mm, colour / ® ROMANIAFILM;
1988 - Composition; Finally, the portrait, 6 min each, 35 mm, colour / ® ROMANIAFILM.
Films (animation / 35 mm):
1983 - Statue, 7 min., 35 mm, colour / © ROMANIAFILM;
1984 - Pumps, 9 min., 35 mm, colour / © ROMANIAFILM;
1985 - Bridge, 8 min., 35 mm., colour / © ROMANIAFILM;
1992 - 1993 - Navigator, 8 min., colour / © ROMANIAFILM.
1995 - Continuous Euroartist Bucharest, 30 sec., video BETA / © EUROARTIST BUCHAREST;
2001 - Luna Park, 10 min DV © Bandalac;
- Unstable, 4 min DV © Bandalac;
2002 - Respiro 01, 2 min DV © Bandalac;
- Respiro 02, 3 min DV © Bandalac;
2003 - CaUSAl Studio, 12 min DV © Bandalac;
2006 - 2007 - Sfinxus 2, 15 min DV © Bandalac.
National and International film and animation festivals:
1982 - Chicago, USA;
1983 - Costinești, Romania;
- Varna, Bulgaria;
- Odense, Denmark;
1985 - Costinești, Constanța;
1986 - Chicago, USA;
- Bilbao, Spain;
- Tampere, Finland;
- Cracow, Poland;
- Uppsala, Sweden;
1987 - Lausanne, Switzerland;
- Espinho, Portugal;
1988 – London, Great Britain;
1993 - Costinești, Constanța.
1997 - MediA Culpa, interactive CD-ROM, 640 Mb - (design & layout), produced by SCCA and ITC, Bucharest. This CD was selected by the jury of the „Moebius“ Prize, Paris, France;
1995 - 1997 - Report 90 - 96 - interactive CD-ROM, 320 Mb - (design & layout), produced by the Euroatelier Association, Bucharest. Awarded y The Civic Forum Foundation, Prague, Czech Republic;
1997 - The roads to heaven - interactive CD-ROM, 600 Mb - (art consultant and i DTP), produced by ITC, Bucharest. This CD was selected by the jury of the „Moebius“ Prize, Paris, France;
1998 - Romania, Astra, interactive CD-ROMs - (art consultant), produced by ITC, Bucharest;
- This is a beginning in every end, interactive CD-ROM, 600 Mb - (design & layout), produced by The National Radio Broadcasting Corporation;
1999 - The wallchian garden, Folklife Romania interactive CD-ROMs, 600 Mb - (design & layout), produced by ITC, Bucharest;
1999 - Sit WEB al BUCHAREST BOOK FAIR - June 2-6, (design & layout), produced by ARTEXPO FOUNDATION, http://www.itc.ro/artexpo;
2001 - CARAVELA - interactive CD-ROM, 540 Mb - (design & layout), produced by Euroatelier Association;
2002 - BARG - interactive CD-ROM, 370 Mb – Produced by Bandalac. CD bought by the Museum of Contemporary Art, Bucharest;
2006 - Corneliu Baba, „Me playing Rembrandt“, interactive CD-ROM, 500 Mb (design & layout) – Produced by misses Constanța Baba.
Awards and Prizes:
1982 - Youth Prize, awarded by Romanian Fine Arts Union, Bucharest;
- Merit Certificate (collective work) at the International Movie Festival, Chicago, USA;
- 12th International Prize for Drawing "Joan Miró", Barcelona, Spain;
1982 - 1989 - Seven national prizes for animation movies;
1990 - Third Prize, International Contest Syrlin KunstPreis, Stuttgart, Germany.
Bușneag, Olga (text), Catalogul BANDALAC 1980 - 1982, 1982.
Bușneag, Olga (text), Catalogul Bandalac 1983 - 1986, 1986.
Ispir, Mihai (text), Catalog Bătrânu/Bandalac/Rasovzki/Iacob/Chintila/TOH-TAN, 1988.
Fundația Culturală META, Un secol de sculptură românească. Dicționar A-D, Colecția SINTEZE, Editura META, 2001, pp. 45 - 47.
Bușneag, Olga, Olimpiu Bandalac, în revista „Arta”, nr. 4, 1983.
Drișcu, Mihai, Bandalac/Mihălțianu/Szilagyi/Stanciu, în revista „Arta”, nr. 12, 1983.
Duma, Dana, Scurt și dinamic, în revista „Cinema”, mai 1984.
Hostiuc, Constantin, Bandalac - anii I - VII, Revista „Arhitext Design”, nr. 7, 1997.
Antim, Corneliu, Codul plastic și noua politică a imaginii, în cotidianul „România liberă”, 10.07.1997.
Golea, Manuela, Bandalac - un artist la cumpăna vieții, „Ziua”, 21.08.1997.
Marinescu, Veronica, Artistul,în cotidianul „Curierul Național”, 1 iulie 1997.